Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
  •  Topic options
Poster Thread
  •  flipbeats
      flipbeats
Downloads or Blu-ray
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L male
Hey I was wondering what you guys think will be the big thing in long run.. Downloads or blu-ray. I was told downloads are going to be the thing because its a lot more portable and the quality on downloads is already good.. what do you guys think?

Posted on: 2010/3/28 3:06
  •  sswx2187
      sswx2187
Re: Downloads or Blu-ray
Addicted to Hikki
A/S/L
I believe that the short answer is that physical media will be around for the majorty of our lives, or mine at least. ?The Internet is still greatly in it's infancy. ?However, the long answer is as follows.

In the future ceterus paribus (ie nukes don't go off or a biological disaster) our entire lives will be digitally connected through radio frequency chips and the Internet. ?This is the obvious choice for the government and corporations because it maximizes security, marketing, and the flow of information (knowledge and intellectual works/arts). ?Basically, there are a few things prohibiting this from occuring.

Large corporations function ONLY in the best interest of their stockholders (or so the free market suggests). ?This means that while trying to make profits, companies are sacrificing development and the rollout of new technologies; not to mention that government licensing, laws, and zoning greatly inhibits progress to ensure several interests- private and public. ?Basically, to make profits and not lose traction, companies will usually try to match or marginally exceed the growth of their competition while developing on a similar plane. ?In such a market as Internet infrastructure, significant growth is largely up to major decisions on the governments behalf such as selling analog television frequency bands for use by 4g providers.

As you have probably noticed.. iTunes, the largest digital marketplace, still sells music in 128kbps and high quality at 256. ?256 is not nearly high enough quality for people who are concerned with audio quality. ?Lossless audio, that is uncompressed, is around 900-1200 kbps. ?This means that an entire lossless album could be between 350-700 megabytes for around 9-14 songs!

Further, DVD quality is in fact around 4 gigabytes (4000 megabytes). A bluray is between 14 to 20 (14000 mb) gigabytes because it contains 3x the resolution of a DVD and it has 7 channels of lossless audio in several languages.

Basically, the internet service providers are completely unable to deliver such amounts of data to the masses or in a reasonable speed now or in the near future. ?In fifteen years this could be a possibility for a relatively expensive plan.

Fortunatly for the studios, digital compression exists. ? This makes a song sound acceptable at 256 or 192 Kbps or a movie look good at 1 gb. ?However, ?as television manufacturers are selling higher resolution screens that are physically larger, for less money, video will need to be compressed less or else "artifacts" appear. ?The same thing goes for audio. ?You can get a high fi audio system for around 600-1000 usd, however, at this point your listening space needs to be good or it too will have a negative effect on your sound.

So the truth is.. Blu Ray will be around, and then there may be super blu Ray to handle the 4340p, or similar, resolution the future is sure to deliver.

But there will always be compression (the sucky)

You get what you pay for ? ??
Posted on: 2010/3/28 17:06
  •  flipbeats
      flipbeats
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L male
Wow that was totally the info i needed. Thanks a whole bunch. Well now i know to stick with blu-ray. I'm very particular about my quality of picture and sound.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 3:14
  •  goku1337
      goku1337
Hikki Fanatic
A/S/L 19 male NLR AR
Blu-ray man a download is good but for the best you need blu-ray dvd cause a file format will not give the same jump as blu-ray
Posted on: 2010/3/29 6:40
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic