Predetermism versus Free Will

Bottom    Previous Topic    Next Topic
Poster Thread
  •  Amaterasu
      Amaterasu
Predetermism versus Free Will
Hikki Obsessed
A/S/L 26/M/Canada
I thought that I'd make a thoughtful topic and 'gauge' this forum for intelligent thinkers. Please, impress me! Onegai shimasu!

---

I think that for the mostpart, in Western culture, we believe in ourselves - our own ability to shape and mould our futures with the choices we make and the actions we undertake.

But Eastern society teaches the absence of expectation, wants and acceptance for the world that IS. Our favourite singer, Hikki is, I think, a believer in what we'd call Fate.

In my youth, I was a fierce believer in predetermined 'fate' if you will. I believed that there were choices, and at each turn, there would be another choice. Yet at the end, there are only a few set endings for me. Almost like a video game (RPG) with multiple endings.

As I have grown older - I have changed despite my circumstances. Although my world is substantially darker than it was in my younger years, I have taken something away from my experiences. A will to fight, as it were. I now refuse to believe in any set end for myself as I believe that the word 'fate' is very egotistical. It would involve the entire existence around me to be a simple facilitation - a vessel to carry the present me to the set ending(s).

I am more scientific in my beliefs these days - that existence is all about chance and chaos; the belief that there is a greater 'thing', a 'meaning', an 'end' is ridiculous. The me of today exists out of various reasons - most of which are pure chance.. some of which are determined by my own actions. The world about us, the times we live all are a random set of circumstances in which we exist today.

I digress in thought for just a moment: Last night I was thinking of how truly remarkable my existence is. No, it is not my life or the person that I am. But the very fact that I exist. The random nature of the universe - the billions of planets circling the countless stars. And here I am, randomly produced from a coupling of homo-sapien-sapiens that conviently paired from the right sperm and egg to become me. If any of these things were out of whack, I could be a rock, a tree, a molecule, or a fish. But no - here I am blessed with higher thought and personal sentience. How remarkable!

Back to the topic at hand. If there is anything vaguely resembling predeterminism .. it is the completely random set of circumstances that we are born into. Such as, if I were born blind, or with super strength - then it would be my 'fate' to have these things. Or perhaps born into a world and time under warfare .. then that too would be my 'fate'.

What are you thoughts on the concept of 'free will', 'fate/destiny'? What are the extents of our existence? Are they without limit, or are we tied down somehow?
Posted on: 2008/11/3 22:01
Subject Poster Date
     Re: Predetermism versus Free Will eni-san 2008/11/4 6:25
       Re: Predetermism versus Free Will Amaterasu 2008/11/4 20:17
       Re: Predetermism versus Free Will Amaterasu 2008/11/4 20:24
         Re: Predetermism versus Free Will SwallowTail 2008/11/4 20:48
           Re: Predetermism versus Free Will eni-san 2008/11/4 20:55
             Re: Predetermism versus Free Will Amaterasu 2008/11/4 20:59
               Re: Predetermism versus Free Will SwallowTail 2008/11/4 21:03
             Re: Predetermism versus Free Will eni-san 2008/11/4 21:03
               Re: Predetermism versus Free Will SwallowTail 2008/11/4 21:06
               Re: Predetermism versus Free Will Amaterasu 2008/11/4 21:12
                 Re: Predetermism versus Free Will Amaterasu 2008/11/4 21:16
                 Re: Predetermism versus Free Will eni-san 2008/11/4 21:24
                   Re: Predetermism versus Free Will eni-san 2008/11/4 21:26
                     Re: Predetermism versus Free Will Josh_Shing 2008/11/4 21:50
                       Re: Predetermism versus Free Will Amaterasu 2008/11/4 22:03
                         Re: Predetermism versus Free Will eni-san 2008/11/4 22:11
                         Re: Predetermism versus Free Will Josh_Shing 2008/11/4 22:28
                           Re: Predetermism versus Free Will Amaterasu 2008/11/5 9:07
                 Re: Predetermism versus Free Will SwallowTail 2008/11/4 21:30
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic